Over at the Stampotique Designers Blog this weeks challenge is to use Acetate in your work.
At the moment i am taking part in the Documented Life Project and am posting about my journal on my Wordpress Blog. Am posting weeks 6 and 7 on here as i am entering my week seven page into the Stampotique challenge and i need to have the correct Title or my entry will be invalid.
Week 6 Prompt: Open your Pinterest board and be inspired.
Week 7 Prompt: Draw one shape – repeat – add colour.
These two pages are really the same thing for me as i love getting inspiration from Pinterest and then trying to use this in my crafting.
I was inspired by seeing Kraft card turned into ‘Fleather’, a term i heard from Sheena Douglass and then found the term here. Searched Pinterest and found this link, and then this link to Sheena’s video.
I wanted to try my own version so gathered the relevant materials (glycerine, water, spray bottle, card or paper, craft mat) and got to work. My first attempt can be seen here, where i used 350gsm card and lots of other snippets of card and paper which i then sewed together to create a small book cover. I added the glycerine mix after the whole piece had been sewn as it wasn’t pliable enough to make into a cover. It worked a treat and the page is now soft and malleable.
This time i wanted to try on 80gsm, to see how well the solution would work on very thin paper.
I forgot to take pictures of the original copy paper but forgot, sorry. I added the glycerine mix after the copy paper had been used as a mop up from Dylusions Ink sprays and before i added the shapes and the sewing. This is the closest i can show you.the glycerine mix makes the paper very soft and delicate but not so delicate that it will rip, seems to strengthen it a tad.
Week Seven was to draw a shape, repeat and colour. I did this but cheated and used a die cut shape, one which i had used to cut the same shape out of different materials while testing out the X-Cut Expression Die cutting machine.
I figure you can colour using sewing thread and doodling so that’s how weeks 6 and 7 became one double spread.
Weeks 6’s page was all about the Fleather technique, added the journalling on the flowers and used Kaiserfusion Pens to add the details to the other flowers and doodling.
Week 7 is all about using a shape, repeating and colouring. Used some of the sewn card from week 6 and before adding it to the journal i burnt out a couple of areas, added Portfolio Pastels to inject a little colour behind the main page. Now for the Acetate.
Used heat resistant acetate, stamped Little Hoo-Hoo using Memento Ink. Coloured on the reverse with the Kaiserfusion Alcohol Pens and then sewed the image onto calico. Used a cooker lighter to seal the material so it won’t fray, also gives that lovely edge to the embellishment.
Here is Little Hoo-Hoo on his page, added a paper flower which has been embossed, coloured with DI and then glued together using a small button for the centre. Throughout this whole process i have used Colall Tacky Glue, it is really fantastic and will be using it from now on.
I hope you like my use of acetate, i think Little Hoo-Hoo looks fab amongst the flowers and doodles.
Thanks for dropping by and looking forward to your comments.