Friday 21 February 2014

SDC135: Use Acetate

Over at the Stampotique Designers Blog this weeks challenge is to use Acetate in your work.

At the moment i am taking part in the Documented Life Project and am posting about my journal on my Wordpress Blog. Am posting weeks 6 and 7 on here as i am entering my week seven page into the Stampotique challenge and i need to have the correct Title or my entry will be invalid.

Week 6 Prompt: Open your Pinterest board and be inspired.

Week 7 Prompt: Draw one shape – repeat – add colour.

These two pages are really the same thing for me as i love getting inspiration from Pinterest and then trying to use this in my crafting.

I was inspired by seeing Kraft card turned into ‘Fleather’, a term i heard from Sheena Douglass and then found the term here. Searched Pinterest and found this link, and then this link to Sheena’s video.

I wanted to try my own version so gathered the relevant materials (glycerine, water, spray bottle, card or paper, craft mat) and got to work. My first attempt can be seen here, where i used 350gsm card and lots of other snippets of card and paper which i then sewed together to create a small book cover. I added the glycerine mix after the whole piece had been sewn as it wasn’t pliable enough to make into a cover. It worked a treat and the page is now soft and malleable.

This time i wanted to try on 80gsm, to see how well the solution would work on very thin paper.

P1060151

I forgot to take pictures of the original copy paper but forgot, sorry. I added the glycerine mix after the copy paper had been used as a mop up from Dylusions Ink sprays and before i added the shapes and the sewing. This is the closest i can show you.the glycerine mix makes the paper very soft and delicate but not so delicate that it will rip, seems to strengthen it a tad.

P1060145 

Week Seven was to draw a shape, repeat and colour.  I did this but cheated and used a die cut shape, one which i had used to cut the same shape out of different materials while testing out the X-Cut Expression Die cutting machine.

I figure you can colour using sewing thread and doodling so that’s how weeks 6 and 7 became one double spread.

P1060158

P1060162

P1060163

P1060165

P1060166

Weeks 6’s page was all about the Fleather technique, added the journalling on the flowers and used Kaiserfusion Pens to add the details to the other flowers and doodling.

P1060152

P1060153

Week 7 is all about using a shape, repeating and colouring. Used some of the sewn card from week 6 and before adding it to the journal i burnt out a couple of areas, added Portfolio Pastels to inject a little colour behind the main page. Now for the Acetate.

P1060148

Used heat resistant acetate, stamped Little Hoo-Hoo using Memento Ink. Coloured on the reverse with the Kaiserfusion Alcohol Pens and then sewed the image onto calico. Used a cooker lighter to seal the material so it won’t fray, also gives that lovely edge to the embellishment.

P1060159

P1060160

Here is Little Hoo-Hoo on his page, added a paper flower which has been embossed, coloured with DI and then glued together using a small button for the centre. Throughout this whole process i have used Colall Tacky Glue, it is really fantastic and will be using it from now on.

I hope you like my use of acetate, i think Little Hoo-Hoo looks fab amongst the flowers and doodles.

Thanks for dropping by and looking forward to your comments.

xxx 

15 comments:

  1. Your pages look fantastic. Love Little Hoo-Hoo......he always makes me smile :) I really must have a go with the glycerine (it's only been on my shelf for the last fortnight!!!). Thank you for all your lovely comments on my blog, I do appreciate them. I LOVE my new pencils, although I am still very much on a learning curve! I haven't tried many pencil types....guess I love my pens more!!! Have a good weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What fantastic page(s) I love HooHoo he looks such fun. I also think your flowers look great. I will watch the video later as never heard of fleather. Love it xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab pages, love all the layers & textures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pages, I love Stampotique images, you used yours brilliantly :D x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab pages altogether! Love the techniques (watched Sheena do the 'fleather' on TV) and Hoo-Hoo is really cute. Those alcohol pens look fantastic. Love how you used stitching on your project too.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like chemistry as much as crafting - what fun!! Fabulous results too... I just love all the different textures, and the stitching is very cool. Going to go and check out Sheena and the "fleathering" - thanks for the link!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what amazing techniques and creativity, just love the colours too. Funnily enough I got some glycerin yesterday and want to have a go at this faux leather look too, TFS xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a breathtaking page. Great techniques and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing! I love your stitching, and the way you've set fire to your material lol. Little Hoo-Hoo does look wonderful here. Thanks for the tip about the glue, I must have every glue under the sun, and I'm still looking for the perfect one xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking pages, fabulously put together! Wonderful to hear the fleather technique works on card and paper other than Kraft card too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great technique! Great page! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore your willingness to try new techniques and your love of experimentation!!! Awesome page!!! Thanks so much for stopping by to view my tutorials and for your feedback. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed them! Hugs! ♥ Terri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your page with all the texture! Thanks for joining me at Stampotique rhis week.
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great combination of elements in this project, with an amazing result. Seems like you had a lot of fun with this one! Thanks for participating in our Stampotique Designers' Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all the layers on your page, fabulous! Thanks for joining us again at Stampotique this week.

    ReplyDelete